Tuesday 9 March 2010

What do you want?

This week-end I sat on my bed reading, enjoying the time away from lab reports and quantum chemistry worksheets. Having emptied my carton of tropicana orange juice with juicy bits, I moved on to fanta orange - what a disappointment!! And yes, I do love oranges. I was left sitting there with my book wondering why I had bought fanta, what had made me think I wanted it when I was in the shop? I wanted something fruity, and the fact that the fanta bottle claimed to contain real fruit didn't help very much, it tasted fake.

Have you ever been left wanting? Having strived for something you thought you wanted, only to realise that you'd spent all that effort on something you didn't really want after all? In fact, sometimes the things we really want are the things we leave behind.

You can say many things about Invictus, it may be sugarcoated, it may be superficial, and it certainly is idealistic; but watching it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I liked the way a reporter put it: Invictus is a very pleasant and mildly stirring bowl of fettucini with a highly agreeable lead performance by Freeman. But it's not one of those ratatouille dishes that win awards and inspire raves from restaurant critics. Invictus is a movie without a personified villain, lacking excitement or twists of plot. It is, however, packed full of idealism - to the extent that I'm sure some could choke on it, yet I lapped it all up, and it reminded me of what I want.

4 comments:

  1. Secretly an idealist. I knew it. P.S. Come to camp. It will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw that movie recently here at Southern Village. I enjoyed it. Good article Harald. It's too bad that we don't realize things don't satisfy until we have them. If we really harkened to the wisdom of the scriptures it would save us a lot of time and energy. I may know cognitively something won't give me satisfaction but I don't know that emotionally until i actually achieve whatever that ambition may be.

    I guess that's why we shouldn't give too much priority to emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's juicy bits pulp in european english?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think juicy bits means juicy bits to be honest... but yeah, it's probably exactly the same juice as what they sell as with pulp in the states

    ReplyDelete