Monday 11 January 2010

life organised

Immanuel Kant once wrote "Science is organised knowledge. Wisdom is organised life." Upon reading this my first thought is that scientists are not organized. It seems a little strange that people so infatuated with order and logic are inclined to live in such disarray. Though there are exceptions, I am definitely not one of them. When I arrived in my room on Evelyn Gardens Saturday night, it took me no more than fifteen minutes to cover my desk with papers, books, phones, calculators, folders, food, keys, saucepans etc. Now, I must add that I have seen rooms far worse than mine, like in the picture above for instance. Perhaps scientists, exhaust their potential for being organized at work and make up for it at home; or is there something inherently attractive about science to disorganised people?

Is Kant in fact trying to say that most scientists are unwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment