Thursday 22 October 2009

attitude of an eagle

I was born into a family of books. Whenever my parents or my brother had time to spare they'd bury themselves in some novel. I'd often wander between them nagging for them to play. I mean, who'd sit still reading a book, if they could play instead? With time I learnt to appreciate books as well; some might say I had no choice. Looking back over the past six or seven years I realise how easily I forget how great books can be though. Because of all the textbooks I have had to read, I haven't wanted to pleasure read much. Although reading novels differs greatly from reading textbooks, it's still reading. There comes a point when your brain and your muscles tell you they have had enough - or too little respectively. On Tuesday I picked up The Eagle and the Wolves from the Chelsea Library, the fourth book in Simon Scarrow's bestselling series. I read the three first books summer. I'd only stopped reading them because I was unable to find the next book in the series at the local library in Norway. Despite the fact that I had to write a lab report this week, which has taken me far too long; I have spent a great number of hours over the last couple of days plowing through the book. I don't think I put the book down once becuase I was tired of it, every time I did, it was because I had to.

A recurring theme in The Eagle and the Wolves is the importance of morale. Even when facing certain death, the centurions Macro and Cato are forced to remain positive. The power of positive thinking is emphacised again and again. Unless we believe we can accomplish something we seldom do.

When I graduated from school in Norway, one of the things I left behind was the knowledge of that complaining could be uplifting. Many of my friends told me of how they had come to really appreciate my cynical sarcastic sense of humor. Despite this, I have also come to realise the importance of positive thinking. Intimately connected to this is the fact that we enjoy what we are good at. I hated physics for the majority of my last year in Norway, but towards the end, when I began to get to grips with the material, I was able to see why others enjoyed it. One would have thought that I'd learned my lesson, but you can't win them all though, right?? After last week's lab on thin layer chromatography I was utterly demoralised. I hated chemistry labs. I've never been a big fan of labriatory classes, usually they are a complete waste of time. And they sure do consume time!!! They munch it up like bitesized chocolate chip cookies... Well, anyway, last week I did not understand much of what we were doing. On the first day my lab partner and I didn't finish on time and we were both really stressed out. I've tried to sit down with my report all week, but things didn't really fall into place until today. Having read multiple web-pages, journals and books I am now beginning to feel that I understand what I'm working with - it's a really good feeling, trust me. The thing I like the most about teaching is seeing when my students get it; I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to finally understand something myself!

Although wallowing in self pity often produces a strange soothing sensation; it doesn't get much done. The mind is an amazing thing, we so seldom utilize its power effectively. If you feel like you need to get to grips with things though - brainwashing yourself will usually do the trick! Don't forget good old Tom.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny... I didn't see you in my library... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... yep, I live in chelsea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad i never ever have to do another science related lab in my whole life. don't be jealous...

    ReplyDelete