Saturday 17 October 2009

ice-cream is cold

- My feet are really cold.
- I could put on some socks.
- Clothes get dirty when you wear them, do you really want to wash clothes?
- I'm craving the chocolate ice cream I've got in the freezer.
- My feet are really cold.
- Then put on some socks and go get your ice cream!!!

Above is a pretty accurate picture of the way my brain sometimes works. I have now finished my ice cream - I have a nice little brown dot on my white shirt to prove it. Isn't it strange how a new factor can convince us to do something we've been putting off all day? There is something about putting socks on, something I cannot quite describe. When I have the day off and I'm not planning on going outside, I rarely put socks on. I only wear socks if I really have to - like if I'm going to put shoes on, or if I'm going to be around people.

Personalities are complicated, my personality is actually quite paradoxical. I love having deep, probing discussions about things that are important to me; yet I am surprisingly introverted. I've come to realise that it's way easier to open up to strangers, that to someone I already know. I guess that's probably because if you make a fool of yourself in front of a stranger, it really doesn't matter, because more likely than not you'll never see that person again. One of the few times I actually talked to the person next to me on a plane I received the full fledged love story of a sixty year old woman who was flying to Spain to meet her new boyfriend. She told me all about how her first marriage had gone wrong, and that she had been convinced there would be no more love in her life. All that had changed though, it was never to late. She was madly in love - and hoped everyone could have the same experience as her. This woman is probably the reason I haven't talked to anyone on a plane since. The problem with talking to people on planes is that if the person next to you turns out to be a nutcase, you can't really move. You're stuck with that person for the rest of the trip. You can't really start reading a book, listening to music or try to fall alseep while some person is talking to you either. Nonetheless for good or bad, you'll most likely never see that person again; so talking about personal issues really isn't that uncomfortable.

Now, opening up to someone who's going to see you pretty much every day is completely different. That person will now know something about you that not everyone else knows. All of a sudden you feel vulnerable. Well, no pain, no gain - right? Anonymous blogging really isn't that hard, no one knows who you are, so you can write more or less whatever you want. Hopefully the link to this blog on my facebook page won't change the way I write. If it changes the way people look at me - well I guess I'll have to live with that, at least they'll know who I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment